Monday, August 4, 2008

Journal Entry #2-My first full day.



7/26/08 8:17
Done with my first full day in Haiti. You won't believe where I went today. Good Samaritan orphanage. When I was looking up adoption agencies a long time ago, it is the orphanage that some kids were from. When I looked it up on the internet and saw some pictures the orphanage seemed so good, but I was told when I got here it was run by a not so honest person. I saw kids there that I saw on the internet. This one little girl stuck out to me on the internet and I saw her there. I remember her name was Bene. It was the weirdest feeling when I saw her. I had to ask for so much strength when we were there. I have been praying about needing strength and I didn't even cry. I think before I just felt sorry for them and felt so much pity for them. After today I have a completely different feeling. We sang with them and then played with them. I have never seen so many kids in love with bubbles. I actually expected the orphange to look better then it did. It was just amazing how they have so little, but when we got there they were praising the Lord and so excited. I held kids with no pants on, kids so dirty their skin was white with dust, kids with skin rashes, kids that smelt, kids that had urinated on themselves but had not been washed. I didn't care one bit. It was like they were all mine...they showed me so much love. They were so excited for us to be there.....it was amazing how little they had but how happy they were. We did so much today other then going to the orphanage. We made food bags. Each bag feeds 50 meals, or has the nutrition for 50 good meals, some people eat the rations differently. We packed 2,000 bags today. If you X's 2,000 X 50 meals ....you get 100,000 Mouths Fed. I really like doing the labor. I just feel like I am helping so many people out. I love it here. I really feel like this is something I could do for a long time. We had a great Haitian meal tonight and then we went to the orphanage on the the Mission. They sang and danced and were so happy. Now I am just waiting for a shower. So much more happened today...but it is my turn to get in the shower. Oh, one more thing. God really prepared me for this trip in a funny way. Before I left I started to have some little bugs running around my house. I have never really had this problem before, but it got really bad about 3 days before I left.....so bad that I actually had one (a roach) in my bed when I pulled down the covers....Anyways, this morning I woke up and was in the bathroom. When I first got in there I immediately saw one...it was about the size of the larger Charleston roaches...but I didn't even make a sound...I took off my shoe and killed it. Well, about 10 min. later I am standing there putting my hair up and I look down at the door and this enormous...and I mean ENORMOUS!!! Roach crawled under the door...my papa always told me that when he was in World War II he saw "rats the size of cats and roaches the size of rats."...well I finally believe him! This roach looked like a bird...it had to of been atleast 5 inches long....NO LIE! I have to say I let out a little "OH MY GOSH" on that one....it crawled back under the door before I could compose myself enough to do anything about it...I think I would have mounted it though if I could have killed it.... it was crazy...so...yea, God prepared me for this trip in a few weird ways. I appreciate it though!! :)I thank him for the strength too at the orphanage! OKAY SHOWER TIME!...or Bird bath time...whatever you want to call it. :)Above my post is a picture of the little girl I saw on the internet...Bene. I also posted the meal we had tonight...it was so pretty I had to take a picture of it!

3 comments:

Jazzmine said...

What a blessing it was when I went to Haiti as well this past summer. It is awful what has happened in Haiti! Let us pray for Haiti!!

Barkha said...

Hi Katie,
It's nice to see your blog and your efforts to spread hope for Haitians. I believe that each of us has a power within to help others in pain and some of us who follow this inner voice are truly gifted. Wish you goodluck in your mission.
Barkha Dhar
http://dharbarkha.blogspot.com/

RayBarrett said...

I THINK WHAT YOU'RE DOING IS VERY SELFLESS AND NOBLE. I'M TRYING TO RAISE AWARENESS OF THE RELIEF EFFORTS OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU SO I HAVE MENTIONED YOU IN MY RECENT POST.I HOPE IT'S TO YOUR LIKING. http://bit.ly/5ETGQP

STAY BLESSED TO BLESS OTHERS,
LUCID